Hitting the clubs for cocktails, dancing, and a chance to meet Mr. Right is a great way to blow off steam after a hard work week. And whether you want to get your groove on with the girls or you’re on the prowl for that special someone, you want to make sure you look your best while you do it. But dressing for the club atmosphere is not like going to the office, lounging at home, or even attending fancy functions. If you don’t display the right style and fashion, you might not even make it in the door. And spending an evening cooling your heels on the sidewalk in stilettos probably isn’t your idea of a good time. So here are just a few fashion tips that should help to ensure you are comfortable, confident, and shaking your money maker to the latest house beats in no time.
- Check for dress codes. It’s hard to believe, but some nightclubs do have dress codes. This can mainly be attributed to the fact that clubs want to present a heightened atmosphere where fashion takes a front seat. For this reason, jeans and sneakers are usually a no-no. This rule is generally in place for men, but it definitely applies to women, as well. And frankly, if you show up in jeans and sneakers, don’t expect to get in the door at any club, even one without a dress code. Some clubs offer this advice for women: stylish nightlife attire. What this basically means is that you need to step up your game with a dress and heels. Sexy and short are expected, so don’t be afraid to show some skin if you feel comfortable doing so. It will probably improve your chances of entry.
- Skip the jacket. Depending on where you live, you might be tempted to take a jacket to wear while you’re waiting outside the club. But you’re definitely not going to want to wear it while you’re dancing, especially since the interior of a packed club will heat up pretty quickly. And since most places don’t offer a coat-check option, it’s probably best to skip extra layers if at all possible.
- Sexy, not slutty. This is a major concern for any woman planning a night of clubbing. Tight clothing and plenty of bare skin are par for the course when it comes to clubbing. But the bouncers at the door are looking for stylish and sexy, not streetwalker. They’re trained to let in a certain class of female that is going to attract a certain class of men. In other words, they want a high-end crowd that is going to spend a lot of dough on top-shelf liquor. So getting in the door relies on your ability to show what god gave you without crossing the line into slutty.
- Comfortable shoes. The importance of comfortable footwear cannot be stressed enough. When you go clubbing you can expect to be on your feet all night. Unless you have access to a VIP table, you’re going to have a hard time finding a seat in a crowded club. Plus, you’ll probably have to stand in line for a while before you even get in, and then you’ll want to dance. So even though you might think finding a comfortable and stylish pair of heels is impossible, you absolutely must find ways to make your shoes bearable for several hours of standing.
- Special pieces. One of the best things about choosing clothes for a nightclub is that you have the opportunity to get out of your comfort zone and push the style envelope. And you should take this chance to exhibit your personal aesthetic. Whether you’re into the glowing rave-wear at iEDM or you want to dress up your go-to, Calvin Klein LBD with ropes of pearls and some red-hot stilettos, clubbing provides the perfect opportunity to pull some special pieces out of the back of the closet and remember why expressing yourself through style is so much fun.