Whether you’re into fancy dinners or bondage cuffs, low-key weekend escapes or adventurous getaways, there are a thousand ways to break out of a relationship rut. Here are five tips to get you started.
1. Spend a bit of time on your own. This is especially important if you two live together. When you pursue separate interests, you’ll have more to talk about when you do see each other next.
2. If you can’t remember the last time either of you did something romantic, plan a romantic gesture, even something as small as sending a mid-day text that you’re thinking about them.
3. Go on a double date! Hanging out with another couple means you’ll get to socialize. When you see your significant other upbeat and at their best, you’re bound to remember why you fell for them in the first place.
4. Relive your first date. Buy a new outfit, get dressed up, and flirt like you did at the start of the relationship.
5. Think about the bad parts of your single life. When you’re in a relationship for a while, it’s common to think that the grass may be greener on the other side. Remembering the not-so-great realities of the single life can snap you back into reality.
Boring bouts are normal in a long term relationship. The key is to notice the signs of this downtime and take the necessary steps to shake things up again.